We decided to skip out on life for a while. Circumstances with my husband’s job led him somewhere else. For Thanksgiving, he wasn’t able to come home so…I packed up our tiny family and drove out to meet him. It was our FIRST Thanksgiving with just our tiny family! It was bound to be a learning experience, but it had a lot of pleasant surprises. I learned a lot about myself, the holidays we spend together, how you can tell when someone truly cares about you, and how deeply appreciate that our kids like each other.
This Thanksgiving I learned that:
- I’ve learned that I can eat Thanksgiving dinner at a local diner and be perfectly happy.
- I’ve learned that the kids enjoy camping out in sleeping bags.
- I’ve learned that I’ve not missed out on the 10+ years without cable, and they’ve got some really crazy cartoons on…hello, hard to follow! It really just confirmed that I don’t need it, especially now that we have the convenience of Netflix!
- I’ve learned that it warms my heart to see three Starbucks Frappucino bottles and a bar of Newman’s Own chocolate on my nightstand waiting for me.
- I’ve learned that after even how many years…the way the military puts all of their signs in a frame still makes me chuckle.
- I’ve learned that there is a HUGE difference between reaching out and covering your ass. Believe me–I can, unfortunately, tell the difference.
- I’ve learned that seeing 11 private messages and 63 notifications makes me feel popular…and a little overwhelmed!
- I’ve learned that I can make Dolmades anywhere! And they are freaking awesome.
- I’ve learned that I don’t need a whole lot of “stuff” to make me happy.
- I’ve learned that I have a really hard time buying a name-brand jacket, even if my husband is trying like hell to get it for me, I still just don’t want something expensive if it isn’t, you know…glass? It’s hard to compare all of your purchases to camera gear!
- I’ve learned that I’m not the only one that thinks these First World Problems are ridiculous. Having a few conversations about them makes me want to write, and get out there and help. We have so much to offer.
- I’ve learned that girlfriends can be incredibly encouraging, even from hundreds of miles away.
- I’ve learned that if it weren’t for my best friend, I wouldn’t be at the point of strength and confidence that I am at the moment.
- I’ve learned that flat boots are best. I guess I’m done with heels!
- I’ve learned to travel with my own pillow [hugs!]
- I’ve learned that I can have a really hard time thinking straight.
- I’ve learned that you can still write good ideas and future plans on napkins at a fast food restaurant.
- I’ve learned that a GPS is a beautiful thing. Especially when four main gates are involved with each a different exit. Seriously…
- I’ve learned that there is NO such thing as too many Starbucks.
- I’ve learned that friends that let my children play Fruit Crush on their phones during dinner deserve a gold star and a promotion!
- I’ve learned that buying spices and ethnic foods at a Base Exchange is soooo much more economical…and exciting!
- I’ve learned that small changes can make big differences.
And since every post is better with a photo: This was taken at Bouchon…one of the best dinners! Bottomless Mussels Pernod…you just can’t say no!